Monday, March 17, 2008

Testing 1-2-3

Hey everybody I'm trying something new. If you know me at all you realize that I am usually against things like blogs, Myspace, Facebook, etc. However, being that I am moving away from my hometown in, yikes, two weeks I need a more efficient way to keep in touch. This being said, most of you have heard the "big news" from me or my mother. However I will post the "big news" here for all to see.

One morning in December, I believe it was the week before Christmas, I was supposed to be doing my Pre Calculus class. Somehow, as my teacher was droning over the speakers of my computer, my mouse wondered over to the Google search engine. It was at that moment that a very odd notion popped into my head. I had heard before about this thing called a working student. You go to a big name trainer in your chosen sport, work you butt off and in return receive training and experience in the field of your choice. Well at that moment I typed in "working student position". The very first site on the list was a place called Windchase Farm owned and operated by, get this, former olympian Phyllis Dawson. So I took a look see and my jaw hit the floor. It was the most gorgeous place I had ever laid eyes on. Beautiful event horses, 250 acres of beautiful property, and some of the most talented riders I've ever heard of all in one magnificent place. Their working student program sounded amazing and I thought, "I have to do this. If I don't at least try I know I will regret it."

So after my class ended I went to find my mom who was putting up the Christmas tree. I had considered contacting Ms. Dawson while leaving my parents in the dark, but I decided against that. So I told my mom that I wanted to be a working student for 12-18 months and put off college. She took a deep breath and basically told me that she fully and 100% supported. That was the second time my jaw hit the floor that day. That afternoon I e-mailed Ms. Dawson and, believe it or not, that same evening I got my response. That was the third time my jaw hit the floor that day. I received a very nice e-mail with more information about their working student program and an invitation to come to Windchase Farm for an interview.

And because I am supposed to be finishing my creative writing class I will pick up my whale of a tale when I get the gumption to do so.

No comments: